The Authority for Research and Development of the Hebrew University was found in 1965 as the main administrative department responsible for encouraging, furthering and arranging all research activities at the Hebrew University.
The Authority is governed by Administrative Regulation 02-021 and its main duties are:
- Encouraging and promoting research at the university.
- Implementing the research policy of the Authority's Executive Committee.
- Identifying potential sources of funding for research, in Israel and abroad
- Managing the university's research grants according to Authority and university regulations.
- Collaboration with Yissum regarding research of a potentially commercial nature.
- Representing the university in Israel and abroad in order to develop research at the university.
- Publishing reports, surveys and brochures describing the research activity at the university.
- Organizing scientific meetings and visits by scientists at the university.
- Arranging and supervising the allocation of research funding from university intramural resources.