Euraxess - Working in Israel


Please be advised that the information herein is general and that the Hebrew University is not liable for the content or applicability of the information on this and related websites. Individual visitors or scholars should verify their status and requirements or rights with the appropriate offices or government agencies.

The Office of the Advisor to New and Visiting Faculty will be happy to answer any specific questions visiting scholars may have.
Please contact: E-mail: ​; Tel: 972-2-588-2924; Fax: 972-2-588-3021

For useful information, especially regarding subjects below, consult our Guide for New & Visiting Faculty.

There are several categories of entrance/residence visas to Israel:

Visa Type Validity Duration Comments
(Student or Post-Doctoral Student)
1 academic year can be extended for the period of a student's studies up to one additional academic year. Granted at the request of the institution.
(Accompanying family members of A2 and B1 visa holders)
given only to husband or wife and children of trainees, guests and visitors
(Authorization to work temporarily)
up to 54 months granted to persons possessing a signed contract with an Israeli employer. At HUJI, this visa is requested for guests and visitors who have been officially invited by the Rector of the University, the Dean of one of the Faculties, or the head of one of the research institutes.
1-3 months granted to participants in short-term programs, such as conferences, Ulpan (Hebrew school), academic meetings, etc.

Please check whether you need a visa before departing for Israel, and if necessary, allow enough time to apply for the appropriate visa (at least two months). Work or student visas are usually required for stays longer than three months. Applicants should obtain the appropriate visa from the nearest Israeli consulate (see address below), prior to arrival. Many European nationals can receive a 3-month tourist entry visa at port of entry; however, this does not include a work permit.

Recipients of fellowships require a type A2 (student) visa, with an option for multiple reentry, which should be obtained at an Israeli consulate abroad, prior to departure for Israel. Visa applications should be made to the nearest Israeli consulate. (See Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Work Permit

Visitors employed by the university need to apply for a B1 (work) visa; this type of visa permits multiple entries into the country and the possibility of maintaining a household in Israel (including custom clearance for household shipment).If you have any doubt regarding your status, please verify with your contact person, or with our Advisor's Office (

Health, Accident and Maternity Insurance

Health Insurance: Visiting faculty and fellowship holders need to arrange overseas health insurance prior to arrival (in their country of origin), or join a local insurance plan, upon arrival.

Dental Insurance is not ordinarily included in health plans and requires supplementary insurance.

Accident and Disability Insurance: Visiting Faculty and Post-doctoral fellows (non-immigrants) are not ordinarily covered for accident and disability insurance. It is strongly advised that they come with accident and disability insurance prior to their departure to Israel. Visiting faculty members, whose salary is paid directly by the Hebrew University, are covered for work injury insurance. Immigrant faculty members will be covered under the National Insurance once they begin employment in Israel.

Maternity Costs: Post-doctoral fellows or visiting (non-immigrant) faculty, and their spouses are not insured for maternity benefits. Supplementary coverage for yourself or your spouse is required, and you should ensure you have adequate insurance for maternity hospitalization. Please note: Pregnancy and delivery-related care and hospitalization, are not included in any local health plan for visitors, and you are advised to arrange for such coverage in your own country.

Social Security and Taxation

Many European countries have bilateral social security conventions with Israel. Scholars or visitors from these countries may be eligible for benefits, or may continue to accrue rights, during their stay in Israel under the terms of these agreements. However, each case is considered on its own merits and dependent on the relevant agreement provisions.

Visiting scholars from countries with whom Israel has bilateral treaties which prevent double taxation, are exempt from income tax in Israel (for a period of up to two years), but pay in their home country (usually at the end of their visit). European countries that have concluded treaties with Israel to eliminate double taxation, include Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. You may want to consult your local authorities before departure for Israel.

Where international agreements do not apply, salaries may be subject to tax, depending on the status of the employee: in general, regular track jobs are usually taxable; post-doctoral fellowships are usually exempt. Immigrant faculty members are usually entitled to special tax credits for up to the first three years of settling in Israel.

Visiting faculty members, whose salary is paid by the Hebrew University, will have approximately 1% of their salary deducted for work injury insurance in Israel (under the Israeli National Insurance). Health (and maternity) insurance, however, is not covered, and visitors are advised to bring health insurance coverage with them, or arrange for private health insurance upon arrival (See below).

Accommodation and Housing

Before arrival, you may want to consult your Israeli university host, department, or advisor, or your own personal contacts. For short-term visitors and post-doctoral fellows invited by the Hebrew University, a limited number of university furnished apartments are available for rent (at subsidized prices). Post-doctoral fellows may also apply for the small number of furnished apartments available in the students' dormitories. New faculty members may apply for a subsidized university (unfurnished) apartment for a period of up to two years (on availability basis).

The faculty clubs maintain small hotels on campus where short-term rooms are available for a fee:

​All the information and links herein are provided as a service to browsers, and the Hebrew University is not responsible for the contents and accuracy of data provided.